T & I Classes
• Bunker Hill Community College offers a free medical interpreter certificate program for people who are fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic or Mandarin Chinese.
250 New Rutherford Avenue
• Cross Cultural Communication Systems, Inc., assists students to function as bilingual professionals in a qualified human services and healthcare workforce. It offers training and workshops in multiple healthcare interpretation areas.
The Millyard Technology Park
• International Translation Company provides an interpreter training program that enables enrollees to become competent interpreters in a business, community, medical and/or legal setting.
• Language Connections offers a six-week 60-hour medical interpreter training program in Boston developed by Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Foundation to enable participants to become competent medical interpreters. The program is offered in: Arabic, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Mandarin Chinese.
• Language Bank offers free medical interpretation training to qualified candidates at its Manchester, NH and Worcester, MA locations. Language Bank is licensed and has been providing its comprehensive 60-hour training course for almost 10 years. Its trainers are active interpreters in the field who bring their expertise and real-life experiences into the classroom. A unique component of the course is a 15-hour practice session where language-specific coaches, as available, work with individual students to foster the mastery of medical terminology, review homework, and conduct realistic role-plays that prepare students for the real world of interpreting.
• The Massachusetts Court System, Office of Language Access, occasionally provides training to interpreters employed by the court. Currently the office employs approximately 175 interpreters of languages ranging from Spanish and Portuguese to Haitian Creole, Vietnamese, Chinese, Khmer, Polish, and Russian. Susana Torres is the program and training manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The University of Massachusetts Amherst offers two types of interpreting certificates for undergraduate and graduate students.
70 Warren Street
Boston, MA 02119
• Berkshire AHEC offers medical interpreter training in western Massachusetts, with assessments in Springfield and Pittsfield and classes in Springfield and online.
• MedTalk Training is a 60-hour online, self-paced medical interpreter course.
English-Spanish program with IMIA accreditation
• Stephen Sanford, a legal/conference interpreter and translator for 23 years and teacher of interpreting for 15 years, has used the Soundcloud platform to create a training resource for both simultaneous and consecutive interpreting. Most of the material is legal, and includes a bail argument, a change-of-plea colloquy, as well as jury instructions, police reports, and arraignments.There are also some exercises that do not include any legal vocabulary. The source language is English, although in some consecutive exercises the source language is Portuguese.
Steve also offers individual instruction over Zoom to Portuguese < > English interpreters and translators. He can be reached at email@example.com or 617-784-7449.
Whereas some of the interpreting programs listed above include translation components, the following programs specialize solely in translation.
• Boston University has a one-year Master of Fine Arts program in literary translation, with language tracks available in Arabic, German, Greek, Japanese, Latin, Persian, and Spanish.
• The Spanish and Portuguese Studies Program in the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures of the University of Massachusetts Amherst offers an area of focused study "Translation in the Hispanic and Lusophone World" in its doctoral program. This area explores the fundamental role of translation and translators in the construction of cultures and identities.
• The University of Massachusetts Amherst offers a Master of Arts in Translation Studies, which is a separate track of the M.A. in Comparative Literature. This is generally a four-semester full-time program.
• The Middlebury Institute's Master of Arts in Translation and Localization Management degree prepares students for a career working at the intersection of language, culture, business and technology.
• The Continuing Education Division of New York University's School of Professional Studies offers several courses under the rubric of Translation Studies.
• Salem State University offers a Certificate in Translation in French, Italian, or Spanish. Requirements are three courses plus a seminar.
Translation or Interpreting
• For information on translation and interpreting programs around the country and around the world, contact the American Translators Association at www.atanet.org about their publication, “International Certification Study” or see the ATA’s list of approved translation and interpreting schools at www.atanet.org/certification/eligibility_approved.php.
• The Hunter College Master of Arts in Translation and Interpreting (MATI) program offers a 30-credit curriculum that includes both a theoretical grounding in translation and interpreting studies, and hands-on language-specific training in translation, localization and oral interpreting skills in Chinese, Russian, and Spanish––paired with English.
• The University of Massachusetts Amherst offers a graduate certificate in translation and interpreting studies.
• The Translation Center at the University of Massachusetts Amherst offers individual workshops and workshop series on a range of topics related to translation, interpretation, and language access. These series can be customized and offered on demand remotely or in person.
• The Translation Center at the University of Massachusetts Amherst offers an Interpreter and Translator in Education Workshop Series and individual workshops related to language access in K-12 schools. The workshop series and the individual workshops can be customized and offered on demand to individuals and/or school districts remotely or in person.
Online Interpreter Training and Translation Courses
Online Certificate in Professional Translation & Interpreting (15 credits) - https://www.umass.edu/llc/online-certificate-translation-interpreting
BA with Concentration in Translation & Interpreting - https://www.umass.edu/uww/programs/undergraduate-degrees/interdisciplinary-studies/areas-of-study/translation-interpret